Hosted by Carla Henton, Creatin’ in the Sticks
We are excited to share our travel themed quilt block excellent for quilts or a pillow cover!
Looking for a fun design to use your scraps? The Luggage Block features two suitcases – one positioned upright and the bottom laid down. The block measures 12″ x 12″ finished.
Optional: This block could easily be made with only the top suitcase, omitting the bottom suitcase.
Checkout the details below to sew your blocks.
Cut the following:
- A: Cut  5″ L x 3-1/2″ H
- B: Cut  3-1/2″ L x 1-1/2″ H
- E: Cut  1-1/2″ L x 1-1/2″ H
- F: Cut  2″ L x 5-1/2″ H
Top Suitcase – Green
- C: Cut  3-1/2″ L x 1-1/2″ H
- D: Cut  1-1/2″ L x 1-1/2″ H
- H: Cut  3″ L x 3″ H
Top Suitcase – Blue
- G: Cut  9-1/2″ L x 5-1/2″ H
- J: Cut  2″ L x 2″ H
Top Suitcase – Purple
- K: Cut  1-1/2″ L x 4-1/2″ H
- M: Cut  3″ L x 4-1/2″ H
- N: Cut  3-1/2″ L x 2″ H
Top Suitcase – Pink
- L: Cut  1-1/2″ L x 4-1/2″ H
- P: Cut  3-1/2″ L x 1-1/2″ H
Helpful Hint: When cutting fabric for a single block, layout fabric as it will be positioned for the actual block. A foam board covered with a layer of batting creates a handy design board which keeps fabric pieces in place when moving between the ironing board and sewing machine.
- Sew neighboring units together to create the top “row” – the handle of the top suitcase. Press seams to the dark side.
- To create the BLUE suitcase with diagonal accent: First, draw a diagonal line from one corner to another on the wrong side of all  H squares. Then place an H square right sides together with G (large blue rectangle) so they meet in the corners. Notice the placement of the diagonal line. Next, sew on the drawn line. Trim 1/4″ from the line towards the outside to remove excess fabric. Press open. Repeat until all corners have the green triangles. Repeat the process using the J squares. (Not shown) Once stitched on the line, cut away excess and press open to reveal a diagonal line on each corner.
- Attach F to each side of the blue suitcase (Row 2).
- Sew neighboring units together to create the bottom “row” – the purple suitcase laying down. Press seams to the dark side.
Thank you for joining us for the SEE YA LATER ALLLIGATOR BLOG HOP!